Squid Salad with Chickpeas and Celery
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
2 pounds cleaned large squid, bodies and tentacles separated
1 medium red onion, very thinly sliced, rinsed
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced crosswise, plus 1 cup torn celery leaves
2 15-ounce cans chickpeas (SOGNO TOSCANO), rinsed
¼ cup red wine vinegar (SOGNO TOSCANO)
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Mix garlic and ¼ cup oil (1923 EVOO SOGNO TOSCANO) in a large bowl.
- Add squid and toss to coat. Heat a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, over high 5 minutes (you want the pan scorching hot).
- Working in batches to avoid overcrowding, cook squid, turning halfway through, until lightly charred and cooked through, about 3 minutes total for bodies and 40 seconds total for tentacles.
- Transfer to a cutting board. Let cool slightly, then slice bodies into ½"-thick rings.
- Place squid in a large bowl and squeeze in juice from lemon.
- Add onion, celery stalks, chickpeas(SOGNO TOSCANO), and vinegar and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper.
- Let sit 10 minutes.Just before serving, toss in celery leaves and drizzle with oil (SOGNO TOSCANO 1923 EVOO).