The Perfect Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
A great spaghetti sauce is one of the most vital pieces of culinary excellence you could hope to master. Yes, you can pick up jars of spaghetti sauce from your local store, but homemade simply tastes better!
Not only does this homemade spaghetti sauce use fresh and tasty ingredients, but it also allows you to decide what goes into the sauce so you can ensure you get the perfect balance of flavors and textures every time.
There’s nobody who doesn’t love a delicious homemade spaghetti sauce, and this homemade spaghetti sauce recipe is so straightforward to make it’s sure to become an instant favorite! What’s more, it takes just 10 minutes to prep your ingredients, so your dinner can be on the stove and bubbling away before you know it!
What could be better?
Easy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- Serves: 5
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Calories: 303 kcal per serving
- 1lb ground beef (or 1/2lb ground Italian sausage and 1/2lb ground beef)
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 15oz tomato sauce
- 6oz tomato paste
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
To Serve (optional)
- Generously season your ground meats with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat and chopped onion to a large skillet and brown on medium heat.
- Once the meat has browned and the onions are starting to soften, drain any excess grease.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, red pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar to the skillet.
- Combine the ingredients together thoroughly and bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the water and stir well, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes (the flavors will infuse more the longer you leave it).
- Once the food is cooked, remove the sauce from the heat and allow it to sit for a minute or two.
- Serve with spaghetti noodles, a sprinkling of fresh basil, and some freshly grated parmesan cheese.
This spaghetti sauce also tastes great as the meat layer in a lasagne, or you could even use it in a spaghetti pie!
Spaghetti Sauce vs. Marinara Sauce
One of the most frequent questions people come up with regarding spaghetti sauce is what the difference is between this and marinara sauce? Because they look and smell so similar, it can be tricky to tell them apart at first glance!
The difference between these sauces is simple: a marinara sauce is an aromatic tomato sauce that uses herbs and onions to create the delicious and fresh flavors everyone loves. A spaghetti sauce uses a similar base but adds meat and vegetables for a sauce that’s a little more complex.
A Bolognese sauce is the third type of pasta sauce that people get mixed up with. This type of sauce is basically a spaghetti sauce with carrots, wine, and/or milk.
Although a great spaghetti dish is all about the perfect spaghetti sauce, this doesn’t mean you should forget the noodles! Sure, you can pick up store-bought noodles, but for a really authentic Italian experience, nothing quite beats making your spaghetti noodles from scratch!
Not only does making your own spaghetti noodles taste better, but you also can’t beat the feeling of accomplishment that comes from mastering homemade pasta.
To make your own spaghetti noodles, you’ll need a quality pasta maker, all-purpose flour, eggs, olive oil, and a little salt. The trick to perfect noodles is allowing your pasta dough to rest before cooking and salting your water generously.
Best Spaghetti Sauce Serving Suggestions
We love to serve this easy homemade spaghetti sauce recipe with some simple spaghetti noodles, grated parmesan cheese, and a sprinkling of fresh basil leaves. Still, there are almost no limits to the delicious dishes you could use it for.
We already mentioned how tasty this sauce is in a lasagne or spaghetti pie, but you could also use it as a meaty pizza sauce, in a simple Ratatouille, or even in stuffed zucchini boats.
However you choose to use your delicious spaghetti sauce, we have no doubts it will become an instant family favorite that nobody will be able to get enough of! You’d best start making extras!