Pasta alla Gricia
- 2 tablespoon 1923 EVOO
- 8 ounces ST Guanciale cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 lb rigatoni
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper, preferably ground with a mortar and pestle
- 6 ounces Pecorino Romano, finely grated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low. Cook guanciale, stirring often until it starts to brown and crisp, 10–15 minutes; it will shrink dramatically as the fat renders.
- Transfer to a small bowl with a slotted spoon; reserve skillet (do not wipe out).
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling lightly salted water, stirring occasionally, until pasta is about halfway cooked (not quite al dente); drain, reserving 1 ½ cups pasta cooking liquid.
- Add ¾ cup pasta cooking liquid to reserved skillet and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, swirling often to encourage drippings and liquid to emulsify about 1 minute.
- Add pasta and cook, tossing often and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed, until pasta is al dente and a thick, glossy sauce forms, 5–7 minutes (this second cooking is why you undercook the pasta initially).
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add guanciale, pepper, and two-thirds of Pecorino; toss well to combine and melt the cheese. Serve pasta topped with remaining Pecorino.